City of Elmira Leaf Pickup Program UpdateWednesday, December 19, 2018
CITY OF ELMIRA NEW YORK
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
840 LINDEN PLACE, ELMIRA, NEW YORK 14901
PRESS RELEASE Contact: 607-737-5750
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 6, 2018
CITY OF ELMIRA LEAF PICK-UP PROGRAM UPDATE
City of Elmira crews are continuing to work toward completion of the leaf pick-up program that was previously started and interrupted due to the recent inclement weather. City residents are asked to continue to follow the guidelines as previously stated:
BULK LEAF PICKUP:
1. Residents can rake leaves to area between curb and sidewalk for pickup by City crews.
• In areas without sidewalks, rake the leaves as close to the curb or street as possible.
• In areas without lawns between curb and sidewalk, rake the leaves to the curb line, but not in the street.
2. In all cases, leave room for safe and convenient pedestrian travel.
3. Leaves MUST NOT be raked into the street.
• Leaves piled in streets create safety hazards for children and motorists.
• Leaves piled in street impede drainage and block storm water flows.
BAGGED LEAF PICKUP DISCONTINUED:
1. It is now a violation for most landfills in the state to accept yard waste, including bagged leaves.
2. The Chemung County Landfill is subject to New York State DEC fines and penalties for accepting this material.
3. A waste hauler may be fined by the landfill and/or have his contract suspended.
Thank you for your cooperation.
END OF PRESS RELEASE