CITY OF ELMIRA NEW YORK
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
840 LINDEN PLACE, ELMIRA, NEW YORK 14901
PRESS RELEASE Contact: (607) 737-5750
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FALL LEAF PICKUP
BULK LEAF PICKUP:
- Bulk pickup begins Monday, November 2, 2020 and ends approximately December 11, 2020.
- Residents can rake leaves to area between curb and sidewalk for pickup by City crews.
- In areas without sidewalks, rake the leaves as close to the curb or street as possible.
- In areas without lawns between curb and sidewalk, rake the leaves to the curb line, but not in the street.
- In all cases, leave room for safe and convenient pedestrian travel.
- Leaves MUST NOT be raked into the street.
- Leaves piled in streets create safety hazards for children and motorists.
- Leaves piled in street impede drainage and block storm water flows.
- There is no bulk pick-up of leaves or yard debris outside of the above dates. Please use our Composting or Dial-A-Truck Programs.
- For the purpose of Leaf pickup, the City will be divided into 6 sections. There will be 2-3 city crews consisting of a leaf pusher and loader to pick up the leaves, and 2-3 dump trucks per crew.
- Leaf pickup will occur along every street at least twice.
This program is designed to reduce bulk leaf pickup costs.
The Chemung County compost facility is located on Blostein Blvd. off Chemung Street.
- Any City resident can drop off leaves at the facility at no cost.
- Hours are: Tues & Thurs 9am – 5pm
- Wed & Fri 9am – 3pm
- Sat 8am – 1pm
- Commercial contractor’s leaves cannot be dropped at the facility, as space is limited.
- Residents can pick up prepared mulch for free.
- Compost facility may be subject to occasional closing for maintenance or weather.
BAGGED LEAF PICKUP DISCONTINUED:
- It is now a violation for most landfills in the state to accept yard waste, including bagged leaves.
- The Chemung County Landfill is subject to New York State DEC fines and penalties for accepting this material.
- A waste hauler may be fined by the landfill and/or have his contract suspended.
BENEFITS OF MULCHING:
- Shredding leaves with a mulching mower can save time and money. It is also faster and easier than raking them.
- Micro-organisms that live in the soil break down the decomposing leaves and cover the soil between the grass where weeds can germinate. MSU studies found a decrease in dandelions and crabgrass after mulching fall leaves for just three years.
- This can also reduce the amount of money spent on weed control products. Mulched leaves keep soil warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer and will provide nutrients to the grass roots reducing the amount and expense of fertilizer in the Spring.
- Mulched leaves will biodegrade and disappear from the lawn by Spring.
NYSEG TREE TRIMMING
- From time to time NYSEG may trim trees from around the power lines. It is NYSEG’s responsibility to clean up and remove all trimmed branches.
LOCAL WEB RESOURCES: (Trees and Composting)
- Street Trees: http://www.cityofelmira.net/public-works/street-division
- Dial-A-Truck: http://www.cityofelmira.net/dial-a-truck
- Residential Composting: https.//www.chemungcountyny.gov/document_center/DPW/A_Guide_To_Backyard_Composting.pdf
- General Composting: http://chemung.cce.cornell.edu/gardening/compost-resources