Mayor John Tonello’s Commission on Off-Leash Areas (COLA) and Friends of the Elmira Dog Park (FOTEDP) worked together from October 2009 to June 2010 to determine the best locations, procedures and operational rules for dog parks, the first of which is located at Eldridge Park.
A Dog Park, or Off Leash Area (OLA), is a fenced, designated area where dogs may legally run, play and socialize with each other “off-leash” under the supervision and voice control of their owners.
The purpose is to establish a secure, off-leash dog park where well-behaved canine citizens can exercise in a clean, safe environment without endangering or annoying people, property, or wildlife. It will also serve to develop a well-maintained open space for dog lovers and friends who are willing to uphold the facility rules; and to view this facility as a community project, in partnership with the City of Elmira, to satisfy the needs of dog owners and non-dog owners alike.
If you wish to get more information on the dog park, volunteering or attending a meeting, email the Friends of the Elmira Dog Park at email@example.com
OLA Rules and Regulations
- ALL DOGS must be legally licensed and vaccinated, and shall wear a visible dog license. (TITLE IV SEC 2141 (4))
- DOGS LESS THAN 4 MONTHS OF AGE ARE NOT PERMITTED INSIDE THE OFF LEASH AREA.
- Dogs with pinched or spiked collars are prohibited within off leash area.
- CHILDREN 6 AND UNDER ARE NOT allowed inside the Off Leash Area. An adult must accompany children ages 7 – 15 years.
- Owners/Handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- The OLA is for dogs, their handlers/owners and those accompanying them. The area may not to be used for any other purpose.
- Owners/Handlers must have possession of the dog leash at all times.
- The owner/ handler is limited to a maximum of two (2) dogs.
- Prevent dog aggression by removing your dog’s leash as soon as you enter the double gate area.
- Owners/Handlers are responsible for any injuries caused by the dog(s) under their control. Owners/handlers must keep their dog(s) in sight and voice control at all times. (ARTVII Section 1-21 NYSAg & Markets Law)
- Users of the OLA do so at their own risk. Neither Chemung County nor the City of Elmira shall be liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog in the OLA.
- Leaving dogs unattended for any period or abandoning a dog is prohibited. (Art 26 Sec 373 NYS Ag & Markets Law)
- Owners/Handlers must “scoop the poop” and fill any holes dug by dogs under their control. (ART II SEC 5-22 ECC)
- Do not bring food, treats, or glass into the fenced-in area.
- Smoking is prohibited.
- Toys are allowed at own risk.
- Rollerblades, bicycles and roller skates are prohibited within the Off Leash Area.