Department of Finance
|Chamberlain’s Office 312 Lake St
Elmira, New York 14901
Regular Office HoursMonday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:45 am – 4:00 pm
|Tel: (607) 737-5662
Fax: (607) 737-5660
The Finance Department is headed by the City Chamberlain, Charmain Cattan. The Chamberlain oversees all financial aspects of the city.
Acceptable forms of payments are cash, debit/credit card, and check or money order made payable to the City of Elmira.
To schedule an in-office appointment with us, please see the appointment calendar below:
Tax Clearance Request is a request to research outstanding city taxes on a specified property. This search will also reveal if there are any outstanding abatements on the property. A Tax Clearance Certificate will not be issued if the property has delinquent city taxes or abatements. Tax Clearance Requests are available in the City Chamberlain’s Office and the cost is $35.00.
First Installment Due: May 15th
Second Installment Due: September 15th
- Any Chemung Canal Trust Company branch with the original tax bill.
- Online by visiting https://www.xpress-pay.com/. If you pay online, you must indicate your name, email, phone number, tax map number, bill number, and property address to ensure that your payment is credited to the correct account. Online payments do incur a service fee.
- In person, appointment recommended, at Chamberlain’s Office, 312 Lake St., Elmira, NY 14901. To make an appointment, please use the Chamberlain Department appointment scheduler on this website or call (607) 737-5662.
- Interest and penalties are assessed by law for payments made after the due date.
- First Installment paid after September 15th, must be paid at Chamberlain’s Office, 312 Lake St.
- Second Installment paid after December 15th, must be paid at Chamberlain’s Office, 312 Lake St.
**City tax bills are sent out 60-90 days before the first installment is due on May 15th. You receive only one bill for the year. You may pay the full bill all at once or in two installments with the first installment due on May 15th and the second installment due on September 15th.
**If you purchase the property after January 1st, the tax roll may be in the process of being updated when the bills are printed and your name and address may not yet be updated as the new owner. We recommend that you or your attorney ask the previous owner for the original tax bill, or you may get in touch with our office to request a system printout of the amount due.
How to read your property tax bill
On-time payments are accepted at any Chemung Canal Trust Company Branch or by mail.
Pay Taxes by Mail
Make all checks payable to the City of Elmira. If you pay by mail, you can request a receipt. Receipts will be issued 10-30 days after payment has been received in our office.
Send payment by mail to:
City of Elmira Chamberlain’s Department
312 Lake St.
Elmira, NY 14901
First Installment payments that are made after September 15th must be made at the City Chamberlain’s Office at 312 Lake St., Elmira, NY 14901. Second Installment payments that are made after December 15th, must be made at the City Chamberlain’s Office. Monthly interest will be calculated and added to all late payments after the 15th of each month.
Additional fees that may be added to the City tax bill include the Sanitation Fee, Downtown Development assessment for properties in the Downtown Development District, unpaid abatements on the property, and other charges as provided by the City Charter. If you have questions, you may call the City Chamberlain’s Office at (607) 737-5662. Click here to send an e-mail to the City Chamberlain’s Office.
County Property Tax for City of Elmira Residents