Rental Rehabilitation Program for Prevention of Possible Tenant Displacement
Subject to funding availability, the City of Elmira offers landlords grants and loans to address substandard housing issues that may lead to the displacement of at-risk tenants. Funding for the City’s Rental Rehab Program is provided through Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.
The Rental Rehabilitation Program goals are:
- To address substandard housing issues and substandard housing marketed to at-risk populations by conducting repairs to rentals to meet NYS Code.
- To support at-risk populations with relocation assistance, and education and other resources.
Units will be deemed eligible if located within the City of Elmira and have been referred by the Department of Health, the Department of Code Enforcement, and/or the Fire Marshall for potential causes of displacement.
How the rental rehab program works:
- The landlord must have property insurance.
- The landlord must be current on property taxes, insurance, and any financial obligations that are due to the City of Elmira.
- All tenants living at the property must have income at or below 80% AMI.
- The landlord is required to contribute 10% of the project cost prior to the start of the rehabilitation work.
- A lien will be placed on the property for 10 years
- During those 10 years:
- Rental rates cannot exceed HUD Fair Market Rents
- The property owner must rent to tenants who are at or below 80% AMI
- The property owner must maintain the property
Are you interested in taking part in the City of Elmira’s Rental Rehabilitation Program? Getting started is easy! Please complete the application and return it to the Department of Community Development.
Please contact the Department of Community Development if you have questions and/or need assistance: telephone – (607) 737-5691; email – email@example.com.