Building permits must be required for any work which is required to conform to the Uniform Code. Certain exceptions are permitted. We urge anyone that is not sure if a Building Permit is required to please call us.
Types of Projects that require a Building Permit are:
· All structural repairs or alterations.
· Replacement of any type of heating equipment and or central air conditioning equipment.
· Installation of solid fuel burning equipment such as Wood, Pellet, Corn or Coal stoves.
· Roofing- replacement or re-roofing.
· Siding Installation
· Any change to the Plumbing.
· Any changes or up grades to the Electrical.
· Any change to the Floor plan of a Building whether it is structural or not.
Typically it is the responsibility of the person conducting the work. (Contractor)
Do they have Insurance? Types of Insurance would be Liability Insurance, Workman’s comp Insurance and Disability Insurance. Ask to see all certificates of Insurance. Don’t take there word for it.
We urge all homeowners to receive at least three (3) estimates from different contractors. And remember the lowest estimate isn’t always the best.
The provisions of this code shall apply to all existing residential and nonresidential structures and all existing premises and constitute minimum requirements and standards for premises, structures, equipment and facilities for light, ventilation, space, heating, sanitation, protection from the elements, life safety, safety from fire and other hazards, and for safe and sanitary maintenance; the responsibility of owners, operators and occupants; the occupancy of existing structures and premises.
Intentions for this Code are intended to provide minimum requirements to safeguard public safety, health and general welfare insofar as they are affected by the occupancy and maintenance of structures and premises.
Types of Violations:
· Peeling or Flaking Paint
· Broken Windows
· Improper Venting
· Unsafe sidewalks
· Unsafe Buildings
· High Grass
· Accumulation of Rubbish and Garbage
· Missing Address Numbers
If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact the Building Department.